Thursday, August 20, 2009

Perspective

Life is great. As I approach 60, I think I have a sharpened perspective on people and am more deeply understanding of someone's motivation. I might not agree, but I understand. On the other end of the spectrum there are the hotheads. Hotheads are often blinded and deafened by their own noise. I don't think this personality type really doesn't get you far in the long run. I think it's better to listen and understand. This gives you the potential for bridges to deeper understanding that can lead to a great human connection.

1 comment:

  1. Marc,

    Your observation really resonates with me. I turned 60 this past May, which triggered a lot of reminiscences. One thing that I am certain of is that I could never have been the effective peacemaker that I am today, say, twney or thirty years ago. I was, as you put it, too prone to fall in love with my own opinions, and pity any persoin who dared incur my wrath.

    It's cliche that youth is wasted on the young, but with maturity comes the realizaton that some things are cliche because they are just so true. I look back at who I was and often cringe. Not because I am ashamed, and not because I think that anything could have been different, but because I didn't have the acquired wisdom and maturity of the ksubsequent years. And, of course, the journey never ends so long as we are sentient.

    The simple act of convincing a person in the throes of conflict to slow down, take a deep breath, and pay attention to what his/her opponent is saying may seem simple, but to those who have never done it, it can appear to be so profound.

    Alec Wisner
    www.wisnerdisputeresolution.com

    ReplyDelete